Sunday, July 04, 2010

LAND OF OPPORTUNITY

Here is a letter by world-class boxer Juan Diaz exemplifying why we are celebrating our great nation’s 234th birthday today, that was published in the July 3 edition of the Houston Chronicle:
 
AMERICAN DREAM IS NOT DEAD
 
I am a Houston native, the son of Mexican immigrants and a professional boxer with a college diploma. I have earned three world titles in my career, and I am training to fight Juan Manuel Marquez for the Unified Lightweight World Championship on July 31. I also own a construction business with my brother and am taking steps to become a lawyer.
 
This is because my parents had the foresight to move to the United States so that I could have these opportunities. As the Fourth of July holiday approaches, it is important to remember that we live in a country where anything is possible, and the American dream is real.
 
As a young boy, I saw the troubles my immigrant family and friends faced while working to become citizens and acquire the same rights that Americans often take for granted. There are millions of Mexican immigrants in this country, and I know that there are others out there like me who are on the brink of greatness and could even be the missing link in solving some of this country’s toughest problems.
 
We have reached a crossroads in the way our country handles immigration. In some ways, it seems as though we are taking a step backward with the passage of Arizona SB 1070, which I feel violates basic rights. Despite my feelings about this specific law, I believe in our system of government. I believe in the people’s right to vote and to choose who represents them. I believe in checks and balances.
 
After my days in the ring are over, I want to be a successful lawyer who champions rights for the people. I want to contribute to our democracy and pay my good fortune forward to those who are seeking the opportunities that our Founding Fathers had in mind. I want to help people see that the American dream is not a thing of the past, but a thing of the present, and I hope that the Fourth of July is a reminder of how lucky we are to live in this country.
 
__Juan "Baby Bull" Diaz, Houston

5 comments:

Centurion said...

Sure he believes in this country, but he doesn't seem believe in protectecting it from the hoards on our southern border who would "Mexicize" our border states.

We can't let the whole world in. We can't even let the whole country of Mexico in. Finite rescourses, you know....

BarkGrowlBite said...

I think you may have misread Diaz. I don't think he's saying that he wants Mexicans pouring across our borders. I believe he's saying that Arizona's new law may end up violating the rights of some Mexicans who are U.S. citizens or some immigrants who are in this country legally.

Centurion said...

Naw. Branding attempts to stem the tide of Mexicans pouring our border as "violations of the rights of legal citiens is the same thing as saying he wants to allow illegals to continue pouring acorss our border.

Arizona's law mirrors Federal Law. It simply allows State, and Local law enforcement officer to do the same thing Federal Law mandates federal law enforcement officers should...but aren't doing.

Ergo...if the Federal Law does not violate legal immigrants rights...neither does the Arizona law.

BarkGrowlBite said...

No one is saying that Arizona's new law violates anyone's rights. It's the way the police are going to apply the law that may violate the rights of some U.S. citizens or those of some legal immigrants.

While they will deny doing so, the police routinely resort to racial profiling. It's just a good police practice and it's not based on any racial motive. Cops can always find some half-ass excuse to pull someone over. And that's where the rub is.

Centurion said...

Agreed Howard.

However, if it's legal for the feds to enforce, it should also be legal for the locals to do the same thing.

Same law, only now enforcable by local LE.

The dude should be equally concerned with the Feds.

Every law ever written has the potential to be abused by LE...local, state, Federal, or Global.

(Give it a couple more years....we'll have UN cops too).