Saturday, April 21, 2018

WHAT I HAVE IN COMMON WITH THE OLDEST PERSON EVER EXECUTED IN THE US

Walter Moody and I both love Philly cheese steak sandwiches and Dr. Peppers

On Thursday the State of Alabama executed Walter Moody for the 1989 bombing murders of federal judge Robert Vance and Georgia NAACP attorney Robert Robinson. At 83-years of age, Moody became the oldest person ever executed in the U.S. in modern times. Appeals had left him roosting on Alabama’s death row since 1996.

For his last meal, Moody devoured two Philly cheese steak sandwiches and two Dr. Peppers.

I too love Philly cheese steak sandwiches and Dr. Peppers.

As for the Dr. Peppers, I’ve been drinking them since 1937 when my parents and I lived in Ardmore, Oklahoma. After a couple of years or so we moved back to New York. One day we were in New Haven Connecticut where my father was looking into a job offer. When we had lunch in a New Haven restaurant, I ordered a Dr. Pepper. The waitress said, “A what!?” Of course I did not know it would be years before Dr. Peppers spread from Waco, Texas, the drink's birthplace, to the east coast. Fortunately my father accepted a job in Marshall, Texas where I could drink all the Dr. Peppers I could afford.

I got acquainted with Philly cheese steak sandwiches while I was in Philadelphia on some fight game business back in, I believe it was 1950. Unfortunately here in Houston, the Philly cheese steak sandwiches are a poor imitation of the original Philadelphia sandwiches. The closest to the original that I have found here are at the Twin Peaks restaurant. The waitresses there are good to look at too!

2 comments:

bob walsh said...

They used to have a decent cheese steak sandwich at the employee snack bar at the state prison at Tracy, CA. No Dr. Pepper unfortunately.

Trey Rusk said...

Dr. Pepper is so popular that Coca Cola came out with Mr. Pibb. It never really cracked the Dr. Pepper market.