Monday, December 23, 2013

DUCK DYNASTY OPENS OLD CAN OF WORMS

Phil Robertson’s comments reignite gay controversies

By Trey Rusk

The big story last week was Phil from Duck Dynasty's comments to GQ Magazine. Why is A&E surprised that a 67 year old white male from rural Louisiana has deeply religious beliefs. Professional journalists usually know what answer they will receive before they ask a question. I think everyone got what they wanted. A&E says they have suspended Phil from the show. Yet, most of next season's episodes have already been filmed. A&E did not say that they would cancel the already filmed shows. Why? In my opinion, Money!

Wal-Mart hasn't cancelled either product line, A&E's Duck Dynasty Products or the Robertson's Duck Commander's line. Why? In my opinion, Money!

GLAAD (formerly the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation) has suggested that they have suffered through numerous unflattering posts on their website. However, I think they also received a lot attention from media outlets that showed they are a organization to be reckoned with. Let's be honest with ourselves, homosexuality has always been around. We should all know about it now since Phil has commented on it. I don't know if GLAAD received any financial donations. But I'd wager that they did.

I can remember when "Queers" as they used to be openly called were in fear for their lives. It hasn't been that long ago that homosexuals were beaten and murdered in this country and probably still are. The police have never been sympathetic to their lifestyle choice. However, I believe some of the Gay bashing officers that I worked with may have been putting up a front to hide their own homosexuality. I used to work Gay bar complaints and I can tell you homosexuals fear law enforcement.

Phil's racial statement was fairly accurate for a person that grew up in that time period. When I began my law enforcement career the tickets or booking sheets changed several times for black arrestees. C for colored, then N for Negro, then A for African American and now B for black. Did Blacks suffer from discrimination? Certainly.

Attitudes change through awareness and Phil has contributed to the awareness issues for Gays, Blacks and Capitalism. Thank You Phil.

I wish someone would ask his opinion on the economy. He seems to be doing well financially.
__________

Trey Rusk is a retired ranking law enforcement official.

1 comment:

bob walsh said...

Strange how, when they get a little actual reality on a "reality" TV show they start getting real nervous.