Monday, January 16, 2017

THE DEATH OF AN INTERNATIONAL INSTITUTION

by Bob Walsh

I suspected it has been coming for a while, since they knuckled under to the animal rights nutjobs. Now it has happened. The Ringling Brothers Barnum & Bailey Circus, the Greatest Show on Earth, is going the way of the dodo bird and passenger pigeon in four months.

The Ringling Brothers (there were five of them) and their successors had been doing their gig for 146 years. I have been to the circus a few times and always enjoyed it. The current show runs just a tad over two hours with the longest segment 12 minutes.

One of the major factors in their closing down was a substantial decline in ticket sales. That curve coincided with the decision to withdraw elephants from the circus.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm a strong proponent of animal rights. It is our job (humans) to take care of them. The elephants in the circus were slaves for entertainment. I believe all animals should remain in their natural environment and only be put in zoos for the protection of a species.

If I want to view an animal, I watch National Geographic.

Fuck the circus!