Wednesday, April 22, 2020

JUSTIFIABLE RANGE DAY

by Bob Walsh

I went to the range on Tuesday. There is still one open in the general area. I justified it to myself like this. One, I want to shoot for record next month so I wanted to get a little practice in before hand, which I haven't been able to do with my competition range closed down. Two is a little more complex. A young man of my acquaintance (he is the grandson of my lady friend's nurse) wanted a little info for a "What I did during the lockdown" school report. About two weeks ago he came over to my place and loaded up 50 rounds of .45 ACP.

I then figured we would make shooting it up not only part of a good show-and-tell but a hands-on history project. So off to the range we went. Took along a Colt .45 auto and a S&W .45 ACP revolver, to shoot up the ammo he loaded. Also (history project, remember) took a C-96 Mauser (earliest successful semi-auto pistol) a S&W M&P (in continuous production for 121 years) a couple of Lugers (just because they are so cool) a Webley .455 revolver (from when the United Kingdom ruled 20% of the world's population and the sun really never did set on the Empire) and a FN Model 1910 (the gun that started WWI). It was a familiarization firing rather than target practice. (The kid was smart enough that he really liked the Broomhandle and the Lugers.) He did OK and didn't do anything stupid (not that I thought he would) so all was well.

Some time when the bullshit is over I will have to take him out for some serious skill building and target practice. One more competent shooter in the world is a win as far as I am concerned.

EDITOR'S NOTE: Did he get kicked out of school after he turned in his report?

2 comments:

Trey Rusk said...

It sounds like a fun day of learning.

bob walsh said...

Report won't go in until next school year. That's when they will kick him out.