Monday, April 27, 2020

KANSAS FARMER, COW SUFFER SERIOUS BURNS FROM METHANE EXPLOSION

Silas Whitman was lighting a cigarette when his cow farted

The Kansan
April 26, 2020

NEWTON, Kansas -- Harvey County Sheriff Chad Gay announced his department was called to the scene of an explosion at the Silas Whitman farm Sunday. The farm is located about eight miles west of Newton, just north of US50.

Upon their arrival, deputies found Whitman, 42, with serious burns to his face and chest, and his cow's rear badly burned.

Whitman was able to tell deputies that he was standing behind the cow and decided to light up a cigarette. All he remembered was flicking his lighter.

Deputies determined that the cow farted at the moment Whitman lit up his lighter, thus causing the methane gas to explode.

Whitman was ruched to the Ascension Via Christi St. Francis burn center in Wichita. A veterinarian was called to treat the cow.

Methane is a highly explosive gas. There have been several reports of methane gas explosions during colonoscopies.

CDC director Robert R. Redfield, said he was sending a team to the Wichita hospital to get Whitman's permission for CDC to use him in its "You Can Quit" anti-smoking TV commercials.

5 comments:

Trey Rusk said...

It's windy on the Kansas Plains. I'll bet he was using the rear of the cow to block the breeze as a shield. Now he has no eye brows and looks like Wylie Coyote after an explosion. I hope he's OK, but that's funny!

bob walsh said...

I was under the impression that cows actually farted very little and belched a lot. Something to do with the multiple stomachs. However, I could be wrong. Also, it only takes one if your timing is right. (And before you question my background, I have actually been around dairy cows a fair bit. The prison where I worked had a 1,000 head dairy and I was the minimum custody dorm Sgt. and the outside patrol Sgt for quite some period of time. Though I do admit I didn't know what a cow magnet was the first time I saw it. And no, it is not a magnet to attract cows.)

BarkGrowlBite said...

Bob, you may very well be right about the farts and belches. And Trey, yes it's funny. It was meant to be funny because I made it all up. Now this is real fake news!

Trey Rusk said...

Bob, When I worked at TDC the job you worked was called the Utility Sgt. My unit besides making license plates and typing renewals for the entire state raised hogs, cattle and farmed. The Utility Sgt. checked on the trustees that worked away from the unit with the livestock and other things. He also brought back and distributed product. It was a plum job because he had a truck with a good time radio and had the run of the unit including running errands in town. The Warden hand picked the Utility Sgt.

bob walsh said...

I didn't know you were applying for a job at CNN.