Sunday, July 19, 2020

THAT WAS ACTUALLY A LITTLE BIT WEIRD

by Bob Walsh

I like good comedy, especially satire.  I have a few prehistoric albums by Stan Freeberg and Tom Lehrer.  So, when I happened to notice a Tom Lehrer concert from 1967 on my local PBS station I checked it out.  

The real strange thing was the audience.  (By the way it was NOT shot in the U.S.)  The men, including people that were obviously young adults and older teenagers, were all wearing ties.  Almost all were wearing coats.  None of the women (as far as I could tell) were wearing slacks.  Many wore bonnets or modest hats or some sort.  A number of the men were smoking, either cigarettes or pipes.  None of the women were smoking. 

It was really strange.  However, the show was quite funny.  My favorite song was Poisoning Pigeons In The Park.

1 comment:

Trey Rusk said...

I always enjoyed "In Old Mexico" by Tom Lehrer.