Saturday, March 29, 2014

STATE JOBS FOR CONVICTED FELONS?

By Trey Rusk

I do not agree with BarkGrowlBite in his opinion that ex-cons should not be banned from state jobs.

I once had an expired badge and I.D. stolen from my locked desk because a painter who had a record for burglary had been hired by the contractor to paint our office. Luckily he was pulled over by a State Trooper who knew me and the painter showed my badge and I.D. in an effort to get out of the ticket. He was arrested and my expired I.D. and badge were returned.

I don't agree with allowing convicted felons to be employed by the State of Texas or any place that holds sensitive information on the public.

In particular the article [STATE FIGHTING TO KEEP BANS ON HIRING EX-OFFENDERS by L. M. Sixel | Houston Chronicle | March 27, 2014] mentioned the Texas Department of Public Safety. Unlike other locations most law enforcement offices are equipped with high tech equipment. Computer terminals that have access to sensitive material and on going investigations that are visible at work stations. State law already prohibits allowing law enforcement computer screens to be visible to the public and most agencies have been audited to see if they comply.

A janitor that is a convicted felon or even has an arrest record for a high grade misdemeanor shouldn't be allowed to work in a law enforcement facility, hospital or DMV office because of the sensitive material at these locations.

Convicted felon or not, I wonder how much a devious attorney would pay for information from these locations. It happens and the temptation for a quick buck is there.

No comments: