Wednesday, June 20, 2012

DRUG TESTING FOR WELFARE RECIPIENTS?

A former Marine and I have been discussing the pros and cons of drug testing for welfare recipients. We both favor drug testing. He would cut off any payments to those who tested positive. I wouldn’t go quite that far.

When welfare applicants or recipients test positive they should be cut off if they have no children in their care. Those with children who test positive should be required to go into a rehab program in order to obtain any benefits. One of the problems I see - and it is a big problem - with just cutting them off is that when they have small children, we would be punishing the children for the behavior of their parent(s). I cannot in good conscience favor that.

Here is the former Marine’s reason for testing welfare recipients and cutting them off if they test positive for drugs:

My particular gripe with all the handouts and people looking for handouts stems from my association with one of my high school buddies. After I give you the background, maybe you'll understand why I believe some form of testing is required.

My buddy inherited approximately $550,000 when he was 18. That would be in 1963. He had a terrific life until he ended up in a Mexican jail for bringing some marijuana into Mexico on his sailboat. Six months and $30,000 later , he was released. He graduated from college as a Philosophy major. At that time the Alaska Pipeline was being built. So, he promptly altered his diploma to indicate he was an Engineering graduate from Colorado School of Mines instead of a Philosophy graduate from Colorado State University. That way he could be hired on the pipeline. This is all background. I'll get to my point soon.

Roy was smoking marijuana and anything else he could get his hands on back in 1963. He has continued "lighting up a doobie in the morning; for lunch and in the afternoon". Because money was never an issue, he wasn't too worried about work. Consequently he never accumulated enough credits to receive adequate Social Security. At some point he was involved in a car accident...he was rear-ended. And his insurance company supposedly settled everything correctly. But now Roy is pissed off because he can't receive full Social Security Disability...even though he doesn't have enough credits. Did I mention his claim is for a bad back? Did I also mention he plays golf every day? Did I mention he is pissed if he doesn't break par more than twice a week? Also because he likes smoking so much, he is all for legalized marijuana. When I asked him why he moved from Denver to Phoenix, he replied "so he could smoke his peyote in the desert". I thought he was kidding...who knows maybe he wasn't.

So, maybe I'm the radical because I think Roy is one of those people who should be tested before he receives any benefits. Anyway, just had to get this off my chest.

By the way, I'm not exactly "goodie two shoes". I've smoked marijuana, but it made me so paranoid I would sit in a corner and look to see who was sneaking up on me. I've tried cocaine, but my pocketbook couldn't afford it. When I was being interviewed for my security clearances at a big defense contractor, the interviewer asked me if I had ever done anything else? I don't interview well after 4-5 interviews and my reply was "I had done some shit, it didn't even have a name". His reply was "oh, you were in Vietnam also. I know what you're talking about." I received my clearances which all I can say is I'm still under the watchful eye until I die.

1 comment:

bob walsh said...

They started doing this in Tennessee (I think) recently and their welfare rolls dropped by over 30%.