Friday, February 28, 2020

BEWARE OF BUILDING CONTRACTORS

How to Keep from Being Cheating by a Building Contractor

By Trey Rusk

I read stories about people who are cheated by building contractors. After Hurricane Harvey unscrupulous construction companies drove through neighborhoods looking for desperate people living in damaged homes. People are cheated because trusting people will agree to pay half or all of the construction costs up front. I understand that many contractors require money up front, but most reputable contractors don’t. I always get multiple bids on each project. You would be surprised at the differences in prices. Then I make my selection.

I had a contractor add a wall and paint my house with some miscellaneous small repairs included. I did due diligence and checked his references before hiring him. I checked his State Comptrollers License and insurance to make sure his company was in good standing and insisted that he pull a city construction permit. This makes sure that the work performed is up to code.

He made a contract on company letterhead and asked for construction materials money up front. I offered to pay for the construction material in which he would provide receipts from Home Depot. He readily agreed to the terms. I then took a picture of his driver’s license and checked him for warrants and records on line. Yes, anyone can do this by going to P2C in any county. It is public information and free. Then I asked him for a personal check made out to me for the full amount of the job. I told him I would return the check to him when the construction was completed on a set date in the contract. I had added wording in the contract that charged $100 for each day past the set completion date in the contract. Take it or leave it.

Always make sure you accept a personal check and not a corporate check. Contractors sometimes have had many companies and may have filed a bankruptcy on an account given. Check the address on the driver’s license against the check. If it matches, you have done due diligence.

Let me explain why I do this. When a contractor takes your money and never shows back up there isn’t much you can do outside of filing a civil case. A civil case will usually only get you a judgement. Your money is gone and the work is incomplete.

However, If you hold a personal check on the contractor it is as good as gold. You see, writing a Hot Check in Texas for over $1500 is a Felony. Now, if the check is good then you have your money. If the check is bad a Felony warrant for his arrest shall be issued. You can bet that when a Felony arrest warrant is issued he will make the check good or beg to finish the job as promised.

That’s the way I see it.

1 comment:

bob walsh said...

If it's legal where you are and it works, that is what counts.