Thursday, April 23, 2009

PATRIOTISM OVER ANY OTHER ISM

Recently, I forwarded those on my adress list an e-mail that had nothing to do with patriotism. However, one individual on the list misread the message, believing it to be about patriotism. This was her reply: "What passes for 'patriotism' covers a lot of ugly sins no matter what country that patriotism is directed toward, doesn't it? Hooray for those mature enough to grow beyond it."

Perhaps I am misreading her reply, but it sure looks like an attack on the whole of patriotism. That really gets my dander up. Patriotism is defined as love and devotion to one's country and a patriot is one who loves, supports and defends his country. And what the hell is so bad about that? This country could sure use some more love and devotion. Too many of our citizens spend too much time bad-mouthing the United States, while taking their freedoms and privileges for granted.

Can patriotism be carried to extremes? Of course it can. In 1775, English author Samuel Johnson published his famous line that "patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel." Okay, so there have been some bad acts committed in the name of patriotism, but that is no reason to condemn patriotism as a whole. Religion has also had its share of scoundrels, but that is no reason to condemn religion.

I, for one, am proud to be an American. I volunteered for and gladly served in the U.S. Army during WWII. That was my way of thanking America for taking my family in as refugees from Nazi Germany. Had I been born in the U.S., I would have felt it my duty to up and serve in our military while we were at war. I love to hear the Star Spangled Banner sung like it was years ago, before a new generation of singers started showing off by putting their personal spin on it. As an expression of my love for our country, I proudly fly our beautiful flag in front of my home, day and night.

I am a strong believer in universal military service. Upon reaching the age of 18, all able bodied men should serve a term in our armed forces. (I would leave military service voluntary for women.) I believe that it is patriotic to serve in the peace corps and in the glorified national service corps started by President Cinton, and now being reinvigorated by President Obama. But that kind of service doesn't come close to equaling the patriotism of serving in our armed forces and putting one's life on the line for our country.

The lady who set me off on this little trip is really very nice. She is, however, rather unconventional. As for me, I'll take patriotism over any other ism. According to her way of thinking though, that makes me immature.

No comments: