Wednesday, May 14, 2014

MIAMI-DADE CORRECTIONAL OFFICIALS IGNORED SEXUAL BATTERY OF FEMALE CORRECTIONAL OFFICER BY 17 INMATES

73 days later they reported the sexual assault to the police, but only after she threatened to go to the police herself

"I was pushed, punched... in my head, face, neck... abdomen and back; the inmates began to grab my vaginal area, breast, and buttocks," she said in the report. "I was kicked in the vaginal area and groped by several inmates. While I was being sexually assaulted... I thought I was about to be gang raped."

On Tuesday, NBC 6 reported that’s how a female correctional officer described a sexual assault by 17 inmates she confronted at the Miami-Dade pretrial detention facility after someone left two cell doors open on December 30. In an ensuing fight between the inmates and correctional officers, several other officers were also injured. Although the sexually battered officer and the other injured officers were taken to a hospital, those in charge of the jail did not report the assaults to the Miami-Dade police.

It took about 60 days before the sexually battered officer could return to work. The correctional authorities waited until March 15, some 73 days after the fight, to report the sexual assault to the police, and then only because the victim threatened to go to the police herself. The actions of the correctional officials, or rather the lack thereof, was absolutely unconscionable.

1 comment:

bob walsh said...

I hope she sues the management there. I don't know if their lack of response is legally actionable, but if it isn't it certainly should be. The suits there should be ashamed of themselves, though I doubt they are.