Wednesday, October 28, 2020

A GREAT DAY FOR AMERICA

Trump praises Amy Coney Barrett's 'towering intellect' as Clarence Thomas swears the 48-year-old onto the Supreme Court after the Senate confirmed her 52-48 to give conservatives a 6-3 majority

 

Daily Mail

October 26, 2020

 

Donald Trump got his third Supreme Court Justice with just a week to go until election day, meaning the 48-year-old could be deciding on voting cases even before November 3. 

All Democrats and one Republican - the already imperiled Susan Collins of Maine - voted against, making her the first justice of Trump's administration not to have some Democratic support. 

At the White House an hour later, Trump introduced Coney Barrett before she was sworn in by Clarence Thomas, the longest-serving and most conservative of the justices. 

After Thomas swore her in Coney Barrett thanks the senators who voted for her and said: 'I pledge to you and to the American people that I will discharge my duties to the best of my ability.' 

And in an acknowledgement of her highly-controversial confirmation process and the focus on her conservative Catholic beliefs and open espousal of pro-life beliefs while she was an academic. 'I will do my job my without any fear or favor and that I will do so independently of both the political branches and my personal preferences.' 

In front of Coney Barrett and Trump on the South Lawn were Coney Barrett's husband Jesse, First Lady Melania Trump, and some of the Republican members of the Senate Judiciary Committee including Ted Ctruz, as well as White House aides. 

No comments: