Monday, January 29, 2018

CELEBRITIES, ATHLETES AND PEOPLE WHO THINK THEY ARE IMPORTANT

By Trey Rusk

Running Code 3
January 27, 2018

There are some actors and athletes who I admire for their craft. There is not one celebrity or athlete that I would take advice from on current events.

Whenever I hear an actor state his or her opinion on world affairs or politics, I take it with a grain of salt. Why? Because their opinion on anything other than their craft is useless.

I went to the grocery store yesterday and I didn't ask my butcher what he thought about religion, politics, abortion or racism. Why? My butcher is not an expert on any of these topics. He cuts and wraps meat. That's his job.

Had I been standing in line behind say, Henry Kissinger, I might have asked him his opinion about the U.S. Embassy being moved to Jerusalem. I consider Henry Kissinger an expert in the field of world affairs.

I also wouldn't consider Clint Eastwood or John Wayne to be experts on world affairs. In fact, I thought Clint Eastwood looked idiotic at the Republican Convention. Thus I wouldn't give a hoot in hell what their opinion would be on something other than acting or old western wear. I enjoyed most of their movies but just because I like their acting doesn't mean I am swayed by their comments on anything.

People like Rosie O'Donnell and Joyce Behar are in the same boat as far as I'm concerned. That's why I don't care what they have to say. When I hear someone get upset because an actor espouses his or her views on a hot button topic, I think to myself, the only person showing their ignorance is you. Why would anyone let a celebrity get under their skin about a topic they, the actor knows nothing about.

I don't Twitter or Instagram because I really don't care what people I don't know write about.

However, the media seems to care so I still get to hear what James Woods thinks about someone else and it irritates me. Not because James Woods twittered something, but because the media thinks his view is important enough to broadcast.

By the way, James Woods is one of my favorite actors, but he is not particularly smarter than my butcher on world affairs.

EDITOR’S NOTE: I think my barber is smart on world affairs and politics. That’s because I cut my own hair.

No comments: