Wednesday, May 16, 2018

OMG, I REALLY AM A DINOSAUR

by Bob Walsh

I am strange, I still carry a pager. I have a cell phone, a dumb phone as opposed to a smart phone. No camera, no GPS, just a phone. I hate to turn it on. It is there for MY convenience. Some months I don't use it once. There are about four people who have that pager number and whenever it goes off, it is bad news. I have had it for maybe 25 or 30 years. I think I have gone thru four of the devices themselves.

My current pager started acting squirrely this weekend. The alarm function started to self-activate and won't deactivate. Mildly irritating. So I called the communications company. They do a lot of other stuff besides pagers apparently, because once I got ahold of a body I found out that I was their very last pager customer and had been for years. I had a very nice, brief chat with the tech I got in touch with.

The front desk lady who actually does the ordering of such things will call me back about ordering a new one. I hope she remembers how to do it.

EDITOR'S NOTE: Although I've never has a pager, I too am a dinosaur. I'm strictly a home phone guy. I do have a simple cell phone like you have. I have it for emergency purposes only. It does have a camera, but this dinosaur doesn't know how to use it. I cannot use a smart phone due to my visual handicap, (I do not have any trouble eying good looking babes.) I suppose that is an advantage because I won't have a wreck driving while texting and I won't get run over by a car when walking while texting.

3 comments:

Trey Rusk said...

I don't have a land line telephone. I have a smart phone that does everything. Text messaging, calculator, my cable television, home security that monitors my cameras and gives me alerts to movement. I can see someone walk across my yard in real time and the image is locked in memory for 7 days. GPS mapping, airline reservations, still and video camera, compass, facetime video conferencing, clock, stop watch, alarm, email, weather radar and forecast, photo storage in a cloud, insurance info and contact, find our phones mapping, Google search, fitbit, radio, scheduling grid, vehicle information in real time for service (if either of my cars park for 5 minutes in one spot, I'm notified of their location), calendar, AP news, ebooks, unlimited music by request, emergency alerts and of course a telephone. Because I'm a senior a get a discount plan of $30 a month plus $7 a month for the 24/7 home security cameras. I use the off button too.

I know I give up some privacy with these services, but not much because I can adjust the settings for each application thanks to my LE training. Most users are unfamiliar with these settings.

BarkGrowlBite said...

Ok, smart ass, showing of your fucking tech smarts. You are of a different generation than Bob and I. And you do not have the visual problems I have. But down the road, your handicaps are coming.

Trey Rusk said...

I know it!