Saturday, June 16, 2018

NO POT HOLES, BUT LOTS OF TATTOOS

Some observations on my recent visit to Germany

Houston can be described as the pot hole capital of the Western World. It’s hard to find a street in Houston that does not have some damn pot holes. Not so in Germany.

During my 3-week visit my friends gave me a tour of many villages and towns in the Rostock region. Over the many miles we toured, I did not experience or see one single pothole. Several roads were paved with cobblestones to preserve the old village days in that region.

I was not impressed with the much heralded autobahn. The lanes are narrow and 18-wheelers barely fit into them. I was impressed with the courtesy of German drivers. Unlike in Houston, drivers did not cut you off, give you the finger or cause any road rage incidents.

Germany appears to be very animal friendly. As we were passing underneath a large autobahn overpass, I was told the overpass was a deer and other wildlife crossing. The autobahn, at least in the Rostock region, is fenced off so that wildlife cannot cross to the other side, thereby endangering itself and the drivers on the roadway.

While there were no potholes, there were lots of tattoos. What surprised me was the large number of women with tattoos running the length of their arms and legs. The waitress at that unique restaurant inside an old windmill was wearing a dress which revealed the upper part of her ample boobs. I couldn’t help but notice that her boobs were tattooed.

During my visit, we went to several malls and supermarket. It was the same everywhere. Lots of tattooed men and women. A wild guess would be that among the women I saw there, half of them were tattooed.

All in all though, it was good to come back to the pot holes of Houston.

No comments: