Sunday, March 15, 2020

CORONAVIRUS PANIC STRIKES HOUSTON

Toilet paper, , disinfecting wipes and canned goods disappear from store shelves

By Howie Katz

It looks a s though Houstonians are no different than people in other parts of the country. Houston has been struck by the coronavirus panic.

My sister lives in the Galleria area. She tells me that toilet paper, disinfecting wipes and canned goods have disappeared from the store shelves of markets she usually shops at. My son tells me it’s the same in our part of town.

When I go to Sam’s to restock my toilet paper, I may be pot shit out of luck. I may have to buy a bushel full of corn on the cob and a couple of extra trash cans because them cobs won’t flush down the john.

Friday’s NYSE gain was the largest one-day gain ever. Maybe that was because stores that sell toilet paper, disinfecting wipes and canned goods made the highest profit ever.

But what happens when the corona virus is over and done with, and people are stuck with their garages or homes full of goods they purchased weeks ago? The stores are not going to take them back and issue a refund.

The Houston Foodbank will be happy to take the canned goods. Goodwill will probably take the toilet paper and disinfecting wipes. The hoarders will be out a lot of money … but fuck them because that’s what they deserve!

3 comments:

Trey Rusk said...

We didn't have to buy anything. Just hunkered down. Already Hurricane prepared.

bob walsh said...

I happened to go into Trader Joe's yesterday. They were very busy, though it was a Saturday and they often are. Much of their frozen food section was wiped out and pretty much anything with rice was gone. Rice and beans (slave rations) are good reasonably long term storage.

Trey Rusk said...

I like red beans and rice with a side of onion.