Wednesday, May 27, 2020

L.A. COPS GET MONTHLY BONUS OF $380 FOR AA DEGREE AND $580 FOR BS DEGREE

Despite a budget crisis, L.A. officials give new bonuses to officers with college degrees

LAPPL News Watch
May 26, 2020

Mayor Eric Garcetti and the City Council signed off on the new LAPD “education incentives” last summer, paving the way for officers with associates’ degrees to receive an extra $190 every two weeks and those with bachelors’ degrees an extra $290.

“The nature of police work has evolved, and the expectations and demands placed upon police officers have increased,” he said. “In addition to being police officers, we are also now therapists, drug treatment counselors, social workers, and EMTs among many other things.”

3 comments:

Trey Rusk said...

On-line degrees will get a real boost as wives complete the courses for the raises.

bob walsh said...

I got an educational incentive ages ago when I worked for Dept. of Corrections. Nice thing about it was it counted towards retirement compensation. Of course that was back in the days of prehistory when you actually had to be physically present in a classroom.

Trey Rusk said...

I was tasked with instructing a course for a police academy while on the job. The LT sent me. About 3 weeks later I got a check at the office for 4 hours from the city. I went to the LT and asked him what I should do with the money since it was on state time. He looked up and said, "Put it in the fund." What fund? "Put it in the fucking fund and get out of here!" So I did.