Thursday, December 22, 2011

THE SMALLEST CALIBER GUN YOU CAN TRUST TO PROTECT YOURSELF

by Adolf der Schweinehund

The Schalotte
December 21, 2011

Hiking in the wilderness can sometimes be dangerous. The Schalotte is an advocate of people arming themselves for protection. Here is some good information on protecting yourself in the wilderness.

On Bud's Gun Shop Forums the question came up: What is the smallest caliber gun
you trust to protect yourself?

Horace ‘Blinky’ Hogan of Billings, Montana offered the best answer:

My personal favorite defense gun has always been a Beretta 950 Minx that fires .22 shorts. Over all the years I've been hiking, I never leave without that Minx in my pocket.

Of course we all know too that the first rule when hiking in the wilderness is to use the "Buddy System." For those of you who may be unfamiliar with this, it means you NEVER hike alone. You bring along anyone you can find to accompany you, even an in-law or your nagging wife. That way if something happens there is someone to go get help.

I remember one time hiking in Wyoming near Yellowstone National Park with a visitor from France. Out of nowhere came this huge brown bear and man was she ever mad. We must have been near one of her cubs. Anyway, if I had not had my little Minx I'd sure not be here today. Just one shot to the Frenchman's knee cap and I was able to escape by just walking at a brisk pace.

That .22 caliber Beretta 950 Minx is one of the best pistols in my safe.

No comments: