Monday, September 15, 2014

CHARLES BARKLEY DEFENDS ADRIAN PETERSON

“We [black parents in the South] called it 'spanking' or 'whipping' our kids -- we do that all the time”

Here is Jim Rome’s CBS interview Sunday with Charles Barkley on the NFL preview show:

After Boomer Esiason expressed his outrage, Rome asked Barkley if the whipping Adrian Peterson gave his 4-year-old son was fine with him.

Barkley: "I'm from the South. I understand Boomer's rage and anger ... but he's a white guy and I'm a black guy. I don't know where he's from, I'm from the South. Whipping -- we do that all the time. Every black parent in the South is going to be in jail under those circumstances."

Rome: "It doesn't matter where you're from: Right is right and wrong is wrong."

Barkley: "I don't believe that because, listen, we spank kids in the South. I think the question about whether Adrian Peterson went overboard -- Listen, Jim, we all grow up in different environments. Every black parent in my neighborhood in the South would be in trouble or in jail under those circumstances."

Rome: "My thing is: I don't want to tell anybody how to raise their kids and I really don't want anybody telling me how to raise my kids. But let's make a distinction between 'child rearing' and 'child abuse.' That was child abuse. There's no fine line here."

Barkley: "I think there's a fine line. Jim, I've had many welts on my legs. I've gotten beat with switches -- and I don't even like the term. When the media talks about it, 'beating a child'--

Rome: "But that's what that was, Charles."

Barkley: "We called it 'spanking' or 'whipping' our kids."

Rome: "If I see open wounds or bruises on a body that is a beating."

Barkley: "Sure. I think those pictures are disturbing. And I think Adrian said 'I went overboard.' But as far as being from the South, we all spanked our kids -- I got spanked, me an my two brothers"--

Rome: "But then, Chuck, not now, right? 1964 is one thing, 2014 is another. Maybe we need to rethink this thing."

Barkley: "And I totally agree with that. But I think we have to really be careful trying to teach other parents how to discipline their kids. That's a very fine line."


Ah, we now have it on the authority of a politically incorrect – in this instance – Charles Barkley that, at least in the South, all black parents whip their kids.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was raised in the South and I was spanked. I wasn't beaten and I wasn't cursed. I knew the difference between right and wrong at an early age. I don't believe I ever got a spanking I didn't deserve. There is a difference between a spanking and a beating. In my opinion a beating happens anytime you strike a child with anything other than an open hand and it goes beyond three strikes to the butt. Dr. Spock was wrong.