Sunday, October 08, 2017

INTERESTING TEACHERS SALARY NOTION

by Bob Walsh

Readers will have to excuse me as I caught this on a news report on the radio while driving and had no ability to take notes. ASSUMING I caught it right there is a proposal to run a referendum through the process that would make the salary of California public school teachers equal to that of the pay of CA state legislators. I believe that is slightly under $100,000 per year right now. This would be a SIGNIFICANT pay raise for most CA teachers.

I happily admit I think that public school teachers are, by and large, under paid. I am not sure this is the way to go about fixing that. Even if it were to pass it does not (as far as I know) have a funding method. We could end up with 40% less teachers getting 40% more money trying to teach classes with 65 students in them.

I will try to post more when I actually KNOW more.

EDITOR'S NOTE: $100,000 per school year? While I agree teachers are underpaid, $100,00 for nine month seems rather high. And there are a significant number of teachers whose jobs are protected by the teachers union that are not worth a plug nickel.

The teachers union in Texas would squeal like stuck pigs if you proposed paying them like the state's legislators because a Texas legislator's job is only a part-time job.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

State Legislators make $7200 a year in Texas. Plus all they can steal.