Sunday, August 18, 2019

THE POWER OF LIGHTNING



This reminded me of when I was on the Galveston PD during a hurricane. My sergeant, who didn't like me, ordered me to be on foot patrol on the seawall - that's right, on the seawall in a hurricane - by Murdoch's pier. There was a big hotel across the street, but I can't recall its name. Anyhow, a lightning bolt struck the hotel roof and showered a ton of bricks down onto the street. It scared the supreme shit out of me and taught me the power of lightning.

1 comment:

Trey Rusk said...

In 1983 Hurricane Alicia struck the Coast near Galveston. I was riding with my Sgt in Houston a couple of days before it hit. I told him that I wanted to get my family out of town. He was from Buffalo Gap and had never been in a Hurricane. I finally told him to take me to the office because the path had changed and I was going home to Galveston County and make ready for the storm. I sent my wife, kids and grandparents to Austin. I was assigned to League City PD during the storm. It was a Ball Buster. I rode around with two officers in an old deuce and a half and we loaded people up at the beginning of the storm and took them to the civic center. Finally the Mayor called everyone to City Hall to ride it out. But not before I saw an entire roof of a house floating in the air cross the path of our truck. When it was over, I sat in that house without power and a kerosene lamp for two weeks. Hot as hell! When I returned to work the Sgt said, "I never seen anything like it. I should have gone home."