Wednesday, September 18, 2019

NOTABLE PASSING

Cokie Roberts

by Bob Walsh

The well known and at one time well respected broadcast journalist Cokie Roberts died yesterday at age 75 from complications relating to breast cancer.

She was generally thought of as a decent, competent journalist until a few years ago when she did a major hit piece on the Second Amendment in general and gun owners specifically, thereby revealing herself to be a sad and sorry political hack who was pushing an agenda and not reporting news or even doing legit commentary.

I guess I am just a reactionary angry old man, but I am not going to cry in my beer over her passing.

EDITOR'S NOTE: Bob, I think you are unfair and dead wrong in your opinion of Cokie. Just because you and I may be pissed off at her presentation on gun control, that does not make her a political hack. I, for one, will miss her contributions as a panelist on ABC's Sunday morning program This Week. Cokie was always the voice of reason among contentious panelists of the left and the right.

3 comments:

bob walsh said...

Sorry Howie but I disagree. That Second Amendment piece was a politically focused hit piece aimed squarely at the Second Amendment and gun owners. It was a sleaze move entered into for partisan political reasons by a political activist. To my mind it was like the exploding pickup truck or the Bush National Guard papers. A one-way ticket to purgatory. Its kind of like "But I only raped and murdered one child, the rest of my life was exemplary." She used her cachet to fuck over honest, law-abiding citizens who happened to be gun owners. I acknowledge that she did some very good work during her career, but there are some things that are not, or at least should not be, recoverable from.

BarkGrowlBite said...

I mostly agree with how you described her piece on gun control, but that in no way makes Cokie a political hack.

bob walsh said...

Sometimes great minds think unalike.