Sunday, October 24, 2010

BICYCLISTS IN THE ROADWAY

Every time I come across a bicyclist riding in the roadway, it scares the shit out of me because I might run into him with my truck or because I might get hit by other drivers while I’m trying to get around him. It’s even worse when there are a group of cyclists. I know the cyclists have a right to be on the road but many of them act like they own the road and don’t give a damn about motor vehicle drivers.
 
When NYPD tried to do something about the cyclists’ disregard for the rules of the road, it got sued. And like with most lawsuits against the police, the city decided to settle out of court.
 
Here is what Centurion1950, a PoliceOne.com reader, said: Funny. I was a competitive cyclist for years. I don't consider it a victory. None of my old pals do either. The people I know who participate in these events brag about blowing through intersections and shutting down whole sections of cities to other traffic in order to make their statement. So I think she meant...Radical cyclists...

CRITICAL MASS CYCLISTS SETTLE SLUIT WITH NYPD
The 83 plaintiffs were among hundreds cited in the rides between 2004 and 2006
 
PoliceOne.com
October 22, 2010
 
(AP) NEW YORK — Bicyclists who were arrested or ticketed in Critical Mass rides in New York say they have settled with the city for nearly $1 million.
 
The 83 plaintiffs were among hundreds cited in the rides between 2004 and 2006. The rides are held regularly in cities worldwide to bring attention to the needs of urban bicyclists.
 
The civil rights lawsuit against the New York Police Department was filed in 2007. Lawyers for both sides learned of the settlement Monday.
 
The city's law department says the settlement is in the best interest of all parties.
 
The settlement doesn't include lawsuits filed by riders arrested during the 2004 Republican National Convention.
 
Plaintiffs spokeswoman Barbara Ross calls the settlement a victory for all cyclists.

1 comment:

Centurion said...

Yup.

There's cyclists...and there are radical assholes who happen to ride bikes.

There is some crossover of course, but by and large, these are different kinds of folks.