Thursday, October 14, 2010

THE TRUE STORY BEHIND THE FOUNDING OF SWAT

Every police officer wants to be in an elite SWAT (Special Weapons and Tactics) unit. Movies and TV shows have been made featuring SWAT units. Former LAPD chief Daryl Gates has been credited with assuming the leading role in the formation of SWAT. That is not true. An LAPD sergeant came up with the concept and formed America’s first police SWAT team.
 
John G. Nelson, the real founder of SWAT, was a dear friend of mine. He told me the true story behind the founding of SWAT.
 
After the Watts riots, John personally approached legendary Chief Bill Parker with his proposal for a SWAT unit. John had served in a USMC elite Force Recon unit during WWII and based the SWAT concept on the Recon units, believing that a small squad of highly trained police officers armed with special weapons would be more effective in a riotous situation than a massive police response.
 
Chief Parker liked the proposal and presented it to his command staff. He asked for a volunteer to form the SWAT unit. Fearing the chance of a career-damaging political backlash, no one on his command staff was willing to volunteer, including Daryl Gates. Parker then told John to go ahead and form the SWAT unit himself, which he did. Later Gates embellished his resume by taking credit for assuming the leading role in the formation of SWAT.
 
Unfortunately, John’s police career was cut short when he was forced to retire after he fell seriously ill with multiple sclerosis. John had served LAPD as a narcotics officer, as a training officer and as an administrative aide to Bill Parker. He is the author of several books on police procedures.

Actually, John never intended to make a career out of law enforcement. He graduated with a degree in English and was an aspiring author. He joined LAPD only to accumulate materials for the books he wanted to write and he planned to stay with the police department only three to four years at most. But once he became a cop he fell in love with police work. It almost broke his heart when he was forced to retire.
 
John did not let his multiple sclerosis get the better of him. He enjoyed sailing and remained active in that sport as long as he was physically able to do so. He gave guest lectures at the University of Oklahoma and at the college where I taught. He would drive himself all the way from Capistrano Beach, where he lived, to Oklahoma and to my place in Houston even though it was very difficult and he could only drive for three or four hours a day.
 
John Nelson, ‘The Father of SWAT’, was truly an amazing and courageous man. I really miss my dear departed friend.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting this. Do you have more stories about John? I am compiling research on him. I remember him going to Texas.
Thanks
His niece Kathy

BarkGrowlBite said...

Kathy y

You can contact me at or at 281-488-5270.

Your uncle was special. They rarely make them like John. I have stayed on the boat he and a friend built. It was large and beautiful. Unfortunately, the MS prevented him from sailing it.

When I first met your uncle he was very depressed about being forced to retire from LAPD. He told me that I helped him get over his depression by making him feel useful again. And later John enabled me to come out of a deep depression that was destroying my life.

John Nelson was the greatest man I've ever come to know and I really miss our friendship

Howie Katz

BarkGrowlBite said...

Kathy, I don't know what happened to my address which was before my telephone number. That explains the 'at or at' in my message. Here is my email address

prof.topkat@sbcglobal.net

Howie