Monday, August 27, 2012

REMEMBERING WHAT I WAS DOING WHEN ……

Yesterday, I was watching a TV news broadcast which paid tribute to Neil Armstrong. The news anchor asked, “Do you remember what you were doing when Armstrong stepped out of his space capsule to become the first man to walk on the moon?”

I do not remember what I was doing when Armstrong walked on the moon, but I do remember what I was doing when three other historic events occurred.

December 7, 1941. I was watching a movie in Marshall, Texas when the movie stopped, the lights came on, and the theater manager got up in front of the screen to announce that Japan had bombed Pearl Harbor.

November 22, 1963. I was at a regional staff meeting in the Santa Ana, California state parole office when the office secretary came in to tell us that President John F. Kennedy had just been shot in Dallas.

September 11, 2001. As a volunteer at the Houston Zoo, I was picking up ape shit while cleaning the orangutan cages when the phone rang. I answered it and someone told me that an airliner had crashed into one of the World Trade Center towers in New York. Suddenly, after a momentary pause, he said that just then another airliner had crashed into the other tower as well.

No comments: