Wednesday, October 31, 2012

EARLY TRICK OR TREAT VISITOR

Today is Halloween. This morning it was still dark when I went out the door to pick up today’s Houston Chronicle. Suddenly, not two feet from my front walkway, I spotted a little Trick or Treat visitor.

Lo and behold, there sat a possum. I got within one foot of the critter but I didn’t want to get any closer. Because he did not scurry away from me I was afraid he might have been sick, possibly with rabies, and I did not want to get bit.

We both just stayed there looking at each other. I started talking to him and he looked at me like I was nuts. After three or four minutes I went on to get the newspaper. As I walked back to the house, the possum remained in place. A half hour later, when it was getting to be daylight, I went outside to take another look. The possum was gone.

In all the years that I have seen Halloween come and go, Mr. Possum was by far the best Trick or Treat visitor I ever had.

No comments: