Friday, December 14, 2012

‘THIS IS YOUR FAVORITE GRANDSON ……… I WAS JUST KIDDING, THIS IS YOUR FAVORITE NEPHEW’

Today I received a call from someone who said “Hello Grandpa, this is your favorite grandson.” When I told him that I didn’t have a grandson, he replied, “I was just kidding, this is your favorite nephew.”

Because I do have two nephews, I asked him, “Is this David?” And when he said he was David, I asked, “Where are you calling from?” (David lives in Miami.) When he answered, I thought he said ‘New Mexico.’

“No, I’m calling from Old Mexico” When I asked him what he was doing there, he told me he was there to attend a friend’s wedding and that his friend had given him an airline ticket to come down there.

“David, why are you calling me?”

“Well, I was driving a rental car and got in a wreck. No one got hurt, but I did have a drink before I got in the car and the police arrested me for DUI.”

“Are you calling from jail?”

“Yes, I’m out of cash and I need a thousand dollars to get out. I was wondering if you could wire me the money. You know I’ll pay you back as soon as I get back home.”

"Why can't you use your credit card?"

"It's gone. I think the cops took it."

“Why aren’t you calling your mother, why call me?”

“They only let me make one phone call.”

At that point, I had had enough. I said: “Hey you asshole, I didn’t just fall off a turnip truck. Fuck you!”
__________

This is an old scam but just in case any of you BGB readers don’t know about it, I thought you ought to be aware of it. Somehow, these crooks get ahold of elderly people’s phone numbers, probably by hacking into a marketing list of people in their ‘70s and older. Thousands of clueless seniors have been swindled out of money they put aside for their needs through this scam.

I hate to admit it, but this crook had me going there for a while. I should have smartened up right away on the ‘hello grandpa’ bit. My bad.

My Caller ID showed ‘Out of Area’ with no number.

1 comment:

bob walsh said...

You are sometimes too subtle Howie.