Monday, January 23, 2017

TRAGIC, STUPID DEATH

by Bob Walsh

Kenneth Righter, 46, of Stratford, N. J. is a local police officer and firearms instructor. Right now he is facing significant legal peril and his eight-year old daughter is dead.

On December 31 the young girl picked up her father's .357 revolver and managed to shoot herself with it. She died in the hospital. Her siblings, age 14 and 17, were unharmed and believed to be uninvolved. There were no non-family members in the house at the time.

Righter is facing three counts of child endangerment and one count of storing a firearm where minors have access to it. He voluntarily went to the DA's office, presumably to make a statement. A grand jury will be considering the charges. Righter is on suspension without pay pending an outcome.

I know it is easy for me to talk, I don't have any children. There are, however, frequently children at my lady friend's house when I visit and I make sure my firearm is on my immediate person or locked up securely under those circumstances. It only takes one moment of carelessness to lead into a lifetime of regret. Some errors there is no good recovery from.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A lot of gun owners believe that a gun stored in the top of a closet or hidden in a sock drawer is adequate. It's not. I keep all firearms in a safe. Grandkids can be real curious.