Wednesday, August 21, 2019

TLAIB HEARTBROKEN BECAUSE SHE AND HER GRANMA WON’T BE ABLE TO DECIDE WHICH FIG TREE THEY’D PICK FROM TOGETHER

Tlaib attempting to raise funds because she and Omar were barred from entering Israel

Israel Hayom
August 20, 2019

Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.) has been fundraising off her canceled trip to Israel last week after being granted a humanitarian request to visit her grandmother, which followed on the heels of first being barred from Israel, along with Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.).

A fundraising email sent by left-wing political-action committee Democracy for America calls on people to “chip in whatever you can to stand with her and Ilhan now as they continue to fight for justice for all.”

Despite the humanitarian request, the email states that the congresswomen “were banned from traveling to Israel and Palestine.”

“I’ve dealt with sexism, racism and Islamophobia my entire life, so I knew that would continue if I pursued a high-profile public office and won,” Tlaib said in the fundraising email. “What I didn’t anticipate was for that discrimination to come from the president of the United States.”

The fundraising plea also slams Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, whose government prevented the two from carrying out a political visit to Israel because of their statements in support of the boycott, divestment and sanctions movement that seeks to punish Israel over its policies toward the Palestinians.

“It’s very telling when a so-called democratic ally bans elected members of Congress from visiting because of our political views and values,” states Tlaib. “It’s even more disturbing and completely unprecedented that our own president encouraged this undemocratic action. What is Netanyahu afraid that we will witness, that we will bring to light?”

She continues, “Not only am I heartbroken that I cannot meet the people of Israel and Palestine to witness their struggles firsthand, but I am heartbroken I can no longer visit my Palestinian grandmother, who just days ago was excited to decide which fig tree we’d pick from together.”

Finally, she claims, “The Israeli government ultimately decided they would let me visit, but under one condition: that I sign a letter restricting my freedom of speech in order to stop me from speaking out against the inhumane conditions Palestinians like my grandmother are forced to face by the Israeli military occupation.”

In her letter to Israeli Interior Minister Aryeh Deri, who approved her visitation request, Tlaib wrote that “this could be my last opportunity to see her,” referring to the freshman congresswoman’s grandmother, who is in her 90s. “I will respect any restrictions, and I will not promote any boycotts against Israel during my visit.”

Nevertheless, Tlaib soon changed her mind and decided against the trip.

In the fundraising email, Tlaib writes, “No matter how badly I wish to see my grandmother, I know she would not want me to do so under such degrading circumstances that go against everything I believe in, fighting racism, oppression, and injustice.”

1 comment:

bob walsh said...

Strangely I find I can live with her heartbreak and disappointment with great fortitude.