Thursday, October 10, 2019

HARD CHOICES

By Trey Rusk

Code 3 Cop
October 9, 2019

How many times have you come to a decision-making crossroad? During my law enforcement career, it was almost daily. Some of the on the job choices cops make can drastically effect people’s lives.

I always wanted to make the right decision for all parties involved. So, is a cop also a judge? To me, cops make more rulings on the job than most judges and most of the time they aren’t appealed.

My rulings and their outcomes:

I have been blamed for tearing a family apart.
(I have called CPS to save an abused family member.)

I have been blamed for putting a victim’s loved one in the penitentiary.
(I have arrested repeat criminal offenders. There were also other victims of their crimes.)

I have been involved in critical incidents where people have been hurt and even died.
(I have stopped a violent person from hurting someone.)

I have been blamed for people losing their livelihood.
(I have enforced laws that stopped poorly run businesses that took advantage of people.)

I have made friends never speak to me again.
(I did my job to the best of my ability, even knowing how it would make someone feel. I make no apologies. If you associate with criminals then you have to expect them to be arrested.)

The media has maligned me.
(All factors of an incident aren’t known. They usually never are until after the initial story has run.)

My career affected my family.
(Living with a police officer family member can be difficult. But sometimes it can also be rewarding.)

I have had people cry on my shoulder when told a relative has died.
(There is no easy way to be the bearer of grief. It’s like knocking on a door and handing out a broken heart.)

I have had to put down a dying domestic animal hit by a vehicle as it looked at me for comfort.
(I have had to comfort the family member who requested that it be done.)

As you can see, each one of the above statements also has a reason for my decision.

My first patrol sergeant told me, “Son, the weight of a badge is more than most people can handle. If the job was easy, anyone could do it and believe me when I tell you, most people wouldn’t last a month.”

No comments: