Sunday, October 13, 2019

THAT DIDN'T TURN OUT TOO WELL

by Bob Walsh

A couple of days ago the Fort Worth P D answered a call for a welfare check about 2:25 a.m. at a private residence. The neighbors reported both family cars were there but the front door was standing open and that this was a very unusual situation.

The cops showed up and started moving around the outside of the house. One of the cops on the outside saw the outline of someone standing inside a window inside the house with a handgun that was more or less pointing towards the officer. The officer fired. The "suspect" died at the scene. The suspect was in fact a resident of the home.

It isn't clear at this stage if the officer announced himself. The cop is white and the dead resident is black, though that would not necessarily have been noticeable thru the window. Also, it seems likely that the neighbors would have told the cops the residents were black and given an approximate description, but one never knows.

In any event the cop is on routine administrative leave and the investigation is pending.

I have never been a street cop. That being said, I don't understand why the cops seem to think that anybody inside the residence with a gun is a bad guy. I can damn well tell you that if I hear somebody moving around outside my house at 2:30 in the freaking morning I'm going to have a gun in my hand until I KNOW it is the good guys out there.

1 comment:

Trey Rusk said...

I always verbalized my intentions before firing a shot. I was trained to do that. My last weapon qualification addresses verbalization on the course with yes or no.