Friday, August 12, 2011

HUNTING DOWN THE TIGER THAT ATE HIS WIFE

Force 12 is a blog created by a sea captain friend from India. Our friendship came about through a 44-day voyage I took several years ago on a container ship he captained.

I check out Force 12 every so often. I should have posted this piece of poetry when he published it in 2009, but it’s better late than never.

LIFE AND TIMES OF A BENGALI HUNTER

Force 12
November 29, 2009

When it comes to sharing humorous pieces there are few who can match Umesh Shedde's repertoire. Here's one he sent me few years ago. It is reproduced here with due apologies to another very dear friend, Shankar, who, though a Bengali, is by no means a hunter and so will read this with equal enjoyment. This great piece of poetry was titled "Life and Times of a Bengali Hunter"........

"Through the jongole I am went
On shooting Tiger I am bent
Bugger Tiger has eaten wife
No doubt I will avenge poor darling's life"

"Too much quiet, snakes and leeches
But am not feared these sons of beeches
Hearing loud noise I am jump with start
But noise is coming from damn fool heart"

"Taking care not to be fright
I am clutching rifle with eye to sight
Should Tiger come I will fall him down
Then like hero return to native town"

"Then through trees I am espying one cave
I am telling self - "Bholanath be brave"
I am now proceed with too much care
From nonsense smell this Tiger's lair"

"My leg is shake, I start to pray
I think I shoot Tiger some other day
Turning round I am going to go
But Tiger giving bloody roar"

"He bounding from cave like shooting star
I commend my soul to Kali Ma
Through the jongole I am went
Like bullet withTiger hot on scent"

"I am telling that never in life
I will risk again for damn fool wife"

No comments: