Saturday, November 26, 2011

BOXER AND JACKSON-LEE'S SANDUSKY PLOY

Bob says that he thoroughly detests Barbara Boxer. I feel the same way about Sheila ‘Motor Mouth’ Jackson-Lee. I do not believe either one introduced this legislation out of concern for the welfare of our children. It’s nothing more than feel-good legislation – a Sandusky induced ploy that Boxer and the motor mouth are using for political gain.

DO WE REALLY NEED THIS LAW?
By Bob Walsh

PACOVILLA Corrections blog
November 25, 2011

Maybe it’s just me, but Barbara Boxer’s new proposal bothers me just a bit. Maybe it’s because she proposed the law (laws actually) and I detest her thoroughly. Maybe it is something else.

Boxer has just proposed two pieces of legislation, the State Child Protection Act and the Federal Child Protection Act. These bills would require that ANYONE who witnesses or otherwise has reasonable suspicion of a crime against a child must report it to local law enforcement or the local child protection agency. I am not sure what the penalty for failure to do so would be, I haven’t seen an actual text of the proposals yet.

States that fail to comply with the State Child Protection Act would lose justice assistance funding. The federal act would apply to federal property.

Similar bills have been introduced by Senator Bob Casey and Representative Sheila Jackson Lee.

I may be able to dismiss my misgivings about this when I can actually see the proposed text. I don’t have any real problem with the idea of the feds pressuring local jurisdictions into ensuring that suspected crimes can be, and should be, reported. If the proposals want to criminalize failure to report by ordinary citizens, I may start getting a little more uneasy.

EDITOR’S NOTE: ‘BigDaddy’, one of Paco’s followers, wrote: Reactionary [to the Sandusky child rape cover ups] legislation that, as usual, will probably cost tax payers billions for a law that is almost unenforceable. Citizens already have a moral, if not legal, responsibility to report crimes.

No comments: