Friday, November 11, 2011

INTERVIEWS OF 99 PERCENTERS Want the rich to share their wealth with the masses instead of getting richer while the rest are getting poorer

By Pamela Putz

The Schalotte
November 10, 2011

The Schalotte decided to interview some of the Occupy Wall Street protesters who claim to be among the 99% of Americans who are getting shafted by the 1% rich Americans. This reporter chose several protesters at random and asked them to explain why they were participating in the protests.

Betsy Willingham, NYU student: “I really don’t know, but my sociology professor told the class that we would get an extra 10 points on our semester grade just for being here. Who wouldn’t go for a deal like that?” When I asked her what she thought of the protests, Betsy replied, “They have so many different viewpoints out here that I don’t think these people really know what they want. But that’s cool with me because I’m getting 10 extra points and they serve some pretty good free meals out here.”

Jack Miller, recent Columbia University graduate: “I’m here because I graduated in June and I haven’t been able to find a job. I owe $37,000 in student loans. I feel like I wasted five years going to school. I’m barely able to get by while the Wall Street fat cats are getting richer and richer.” When I asked what he got his degree in, he replied, “Sociology.”

Kanesha Jackson, welfare recipient and single mom of seven children ages six months through 14 years: “I want them rich Jews to share their money with us poor folks. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton done told us them bloodsuckers be coming into the community to sell us inferior goods at jacked-up prices.” When I asked what her children’s father does for a living she said, “Father? You mean fathers, don’t you gal. Well, I dunno who them motherfuckers be.”

Mary Jane Overstreet, recent UC Irvine graduate: She said she came here from California because she could not find any work in her field of studies. “I graduated with highest honors but no one is willing to give me a job.” When I asked what her degree was in, she replied “Women’s Studies.”

Sylvester Jefferson, community organizer with Al Sharpton’s National Action Network: “I’m here to protest against the income inequality whereby corporate America is getting rich off of underpaid workers. Reverend Sharpton is especially concerned about the African-American community which continues to be at the bottom of the income ladder and at the top of the unemployment numbers. As you know, the Reverend Al has been out here to show his support for the Occupy Wall Street movement.”

Rachel Finkelstein and Rebecca Goldberg, sorority sisters from UC Berkeley: "We came out here all the way from California to show that we are one with the victims of Jew bankers.” When I asked, “But aren’t both of you Jewish?” Rebecca hesitated before saying “Yes” and Rachel said, “We hate to admit it because we’re ashamed of it.” (Our interview was interrupted when Rachel got a cell phone call. I heard her say, “Dad can you send me another $2,000 right away? Great, thanks.”) When I asked her what her father did, she replied, “He’s an executive at Goldman Sachs.” And Rebecca piped in, “And my dad is an executive with J.P. Morgan Chase.”

Dr. David Smith, professor of Economics and Marxist studies at City University of New York: "I’m here to protest against corporate America’s exploitation of the workers and the Capitalist’s oppression of the masses. It’s way past time that the rich share their wealth with the masses instead of getting richer while the rest of us are getting poorer. We have-nots have had it!” When I asked Professor Smith about his annual salary at CUNY, he replied, “I’m making $97,000 a year teaching four courses.” When I asked if that was for teaching a whole 12 months, he said, “No, that’s for two semesters.”

Mike Franklin, homeless person: Holding a half-empty bottle of Olde English 800 malt liquor and reeking of alcohol, Franklin said, “I’m here only ‘cause they’re handing out free chow three times a day.” When I asked him about the protests he answered, “I don’t have any idea what the hell this is all about, I just heard about the free chow. Listen lady, you gotta excuse me ‘cause I’ve gotta find a place to take a leak. I’m about to piss in my pants.”

No comments: