Wednesday, December 05, 2018

UPDATE FROM JURY DUTY

by Bob Walsh

Had to go in Tuesday morning for jury duty. I wasn't there long. They took roll and sent us down from the jury room to a courtroom at about 10:00. The jury room in the new court building is very nice, takes up the whole 12th floor, does NOT smell like a public latrine.

For about 40 minutes the courtroom was like a sardine can. People sitting and standing EVERYWHERE there was room to stand. The judge came in and ran over a few things with us. Among other things this trial will run about 15 court days, will start next week and will have a long break around Christmas_New Year. She then let everybody leave who did NOT appear to have some sort of legitimate issue or exemption. That included me so I got to beat feet with about half the people in the courtroom, to return in one week.

It will be a criminal case. I am guessing it will NOT be a murder case as that is awfully brief for a murder case. I will have to juggle a couple of medical appointments and pay a little overtime for my lady friend's nurse, but it is doable. It might be amusing to be on a jury. I have never done so before.

Since I am a retired cop I am guessing I will be booted, but you never know. I will keep you posted on procedural things as the matter moves along.

2 comments:

Trey Rusk said...

If it's civil there is a good chance you will be picked. If it's criminal, you're out of there!

bob walsh said...

This one is criminal. Unless they are desperate (which at Christmas time they might be) I am likely to be bounced even though I have been retired nearly 14 years.