Friday, June 24, 2022

SOME WORDS FROM ROCKY MARCIANO AND GEORGE FOREMAN

By Trey Rusk


Rocky Marciano


Boxing History: Marciano KOs Charles               Rocky Marciano lands a solid right on former NBA Heavyweight Champion Ezzard Charles 
 
'I like to train. I always thought that fighting was mainly condition; to be able to go ten, fifteen rounds at a high speed requires good conditioning and that makes a big difference with a lot of fighters. Some fighters have ability, but they don't condition themselves properly. I always try to condition myself the right way. It's no effort for me. I enjoy it because I know it'll be helpful to me.' 
- Rocky Marciano
 ___________________ 
 
Sonny Liston 

Liston-misses-Clay_RING

Muhammad Ali (Cassius Clay) avoids a left hook thrown by Sonny Liston
'I trained full time with Sonny. Everything he did, I did. We often ate dinner together and afterward took a walk. To say that Liston was a man of few words is to say that the sun is warm. Normally, he just glared. So when he suddenly began talking about himself on one of our walks, I hung on every syllable. 
 
He talked about the 1964 fight with Cassius Clay in Miami Beach, when he lost the title that he'd taken two years before from Floyd Patterson. Some people point to that Clay fight as proof that boxing is, or was, fixed. But the Sonny Liston I got to know was too mean and too proud - and had come from too far behind - to throw the championship away on purpose.'
 
- George Foreman
 
EDITOR'S NOTE: Sonny Liston lost to Clay only because he was out of shape and overweight. Worst of all though, Liston was loaded with heroin. Out of shape and high on heroin, he would never be able to go 15 rounds with anyone.
 
I had the pleasure of sitting with Rocky Marciano a number of times at Stillman's Gymnasium where we watched other fighters work out. He was one of the nicest guys I ever met.

2 comments:

Trey said...

Cassius Clay was a draft dodger. I've never had much use for him.

bob walsh said...

I confess I always felt that Liston threw the fight, mostly because I lost $15 on it and he crashed and burned so quickly. Maybe I will have to rethink my position.