Sunday, December 31, 2017

WANT A REALLY COOL GUN?

by Bob Walsh

I like guns. I own a fair number of them. More than I need but less than I want. I like Lugers (among others) and own three of them, all very common and relatively low on the expensive scale. There are a LOT of Luger variations. Some of which there is only one known in existence. Some of them are VERY valuable.

Back in about 1907 Luger made a half dozen Lugers for the U. S. Army in .45 ACP. They apparently made a few extra here and there after tooling up because serial number 22 is known to exist. There are a couple of them in private collections. Value is $1 million plus.

Enter Eugene Golubtsov, aka Lugerman. He has set up a CNC computerized production line to make brand new .45 ACP Lugers. For starters there will be three of them, a standard, a compact and a target variation. They will also be building a carbine version and one in 10MM. They are still in the process of tweaking the final design but there are samples out there, at least one of which has had over 7,000 rounds thru it.

Anyway if you would REALLY like one and have a spare $5,800 or so and live in a state where you can get them (i.e. not California) you may be able to have one. Check out Lugerman.com for further details.

By the way, this guy has been around for some time and does repair and restoration on Lugers and P-38 pistols so he is not a fly-by-night operation. Allegedly guns are currently available. Personally I would LOVE to have one in 10mm compact but since I have paid less money than that for cars I still own I am probably not going to get one, even if they could be sold in the People's Republic.

No comments: