Tuesday, April 25, 2023

LICENSE PLATE READERS IN TOWN

By Trey Rusk

 

License plate readers


Local cop gossip.
 
I saw it a couple of weeks ago. It was posted 12 ‘off the ground on its own pole with solar power and cell service. It’s two blocks from my home and installed ½ a block from the highway so traffic has to pass it on the street coming into our neighborhood.  At first, I thought it was a traffic measuring camera. After calling around, I found that our small city has installed License Plate Readers. In our city, crooks cruise the through streets to avoid main highways. My former pardner told me that each thoroughfare had at least one LPR and depending on calls for service, some have multiple LPR’s.
 
Once a crime is reported the LPR pics from the closest cameras pics are downloaded and voila! The car, license plate and pics of the front seat passengers can be seen. Several crimes have already been solved using the new technology. They are also using motion detection with infrared so even darked out, the descriptions are readable.
 
They are posted near schools so that any traffic approaching or leaving a campus is recorded. 

Dispatch is immediately notified of stolen or wanted vehicles.
 
I’m sure the Drug Task Force is also monitoring cameras near known drug houses.
 
I have multiple personal cameras on my property and I have sent pics to the detectives when some thug has pulled on a car door handle while walking across my driveway.  

Any city officials slipping out to a late meeting and then playing patti-cake with the dirty-leg down the road, Smile. I would wager some pics are being kept as intel and budget talks may never be the same. 

I’m glad to see the local cops going pro-active.  

No comments: