Wednesday, October 31, 2018

I DON'T THINK TRUMP CAN MAKE THIS WORK

But Maybe He Can

by Bob Walsh

Yesterday it was announced that President Trump will end birth right citizenship by executive order.

Apparently his lawyers are telling him he can do this. My interpretation of the 14th Amendment would indicate otherwise, and my law degree from Ralph's Law School and Storm Door Company should give me some expertise in the matter.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is a good idea. I am just unsure that Trump can do it by himself. Of course it will give him a really good issue in six days, and again in two years. And of course it is possible that is the whole point.

EDITOR'S NOTE: Bob, you are right. Legal scholars are in agreement such an order will violate the 14th Amendment. Speaker of the House Paul Ryan thinks so too. If Trump issues that executive order, it will be immediately challenged in the courts.

1 comment:

Trey Rusk said...

I say issue the order and let's see what shakes out. By the way I need a new storm door.