Wednesday, March 24, 2010

THIS SWINGER PROBABLY WON'T BE SWINGING AGAIN (2)

The swinger’s family and friends set up a Catastrophic Time Bank that his fellow correctional officers’ could contribute to. AND THEY DID! Not only did John Smiley try to commit a fraud against the Workers’ Compensation Fund, but he also defrauded anyone who contributed to his CTB fund. What chutzpah!

RETROSPECT: “UNBREAKABLE” SMILEY’S CTB PLEA, IN HIS OWN WORDS…
Smiley conned ‘em

PacoVilla Corrections blog
March 24, 2010

Smiley played on their sympathy, loyalty and fear--He played his fellow CO's.

[The text released by ‘The family and friends of Officer John Smiley’ follows]


UNBREAKABLE:

Transportation Officer John Smiley vows to fully recover from a vicious attack with a little help from his friends and fellow officers

Forward by: The family and friends of Officer John Smiley

Being 6 feet 8 inches tall always gave John Smiley an advantage in life. He excelled on the varsity basketball team in high school in Springfield, Massachusetts, and in college preparatory school in Fork Union, Virginia.

After college, his stature helped him to manage and counsel juvenile delinquents for the Massachusetts Department of Youth Services. As a decorated correctional officer in California, his size helped John safely transport dangerous inmates, stop large riots, and prevent inmate escapes.

However, on April 26, 2008, that tall stature may have made John stand out enough to attract the attention of a violent and ruthless individual, and since that fateful night, his size has made his life and his recovery from a paralyzing injury much more difficult.

John's attacker is suspected to be a parolee who possibly recognized him as an officer. The suspect is still at large. John is a determined young man with a loving family and many friends, all of which will definitely help him reach his goal to walk again. He began his career with CDCR at CSP-Solano, but at the time of the incident he was working as a transportation officer out of the Northern Transportation Hub. We sincerely appreciate all the support he's received so far, and we are hopeful that the kindness of others who read his story here in the Peacekeeper, will further bolster John's recovery efforts, assisting both John and his family through this long and heartwrenching ordeal. Thank you.

The family and friends of Officer John Smiley


In John's words...

On April 26, I spent a beautiful day at the San Francisco Zoo with my wife, Cindy, two children, Ciana and Jacob, and my in-laws, Frank and Angela. This wonderful afternoon was followed by a great dinner and an offer from the grandparents that they would watch the kids so Cindy and I could have a long overdue evening out together. Of course, I had no idea then that our lives were about to change forever.

My wife and I were sitting at a table in a club, when a guy walked up to us and said that I disrespected his woman. I told him I didn't realize I had, but if I did, I apologize. Not good enough for him. He then asked if I knew what he does for a living, then told me he "kills people for a living." He asked if I had my "heat" with me. I apologized again, but that was still not good enough for him. Then he told me he was going to kill me. We quickly left the club and as we were walking to our car, the real nightmare began.

A car pulled up, shots were fired, and I felt a sharp pain in my back. The same guy got out of the car and said, "I told you I was going to kill you!" I thought, I must be dreaming, this can't be real! Who was this guy who shot me in the back and left me paralyzed? Where do I remember him from? Solano, or one of the big green buses? None of it makes any sense. I can't believe the doctors say I probably will never walk again. Not true! I will play ball with Jacob, and I will walk Ciana down the aisle on her wedding day. I know I can do this, but not alone. Right now I need to get through the intense pain of the injury, find the right wheelchair and other disability equipment that fits me, and make some critical renovations to my home.

Then, I need to get into a rehab unit that also believes I will walk again, and will work just as hard as I will to achieve that goal. I believe I found that in Project Walk in San Diego. It's the most experienced, exercise-based rehabilitation program in the world. It's expensive and not covered by insurance, but my relatives, coworkers, and friends have been so generous in their prayers for my recovery and in their financial assistance that I know I can make it.


HOW YOU CAN HELP

A Catastrophic Time Bank has been set up to help John Smiley and his family during the long transition and recovery period. Any state employee or CalPERS member may donate any leave credits (except for sick time). Complete a Catastrophic Time Bank Donation Authorization (CDC 869) and submit to your personnel office.

Please indicate Officer Smiley's position number: 065-212-9662-147

A bank account has also been established to help John's family with additional and unexpected expenses. Donations can be made to:

Name: Cynthia Smiley
Institution: Bank of America
Account #: ..........

1 comment:

Centurion said...

What a guy...