Wednesday, May 10, 2017

CONSTITUTIONAL CONVENTION?

by Bob Walsh

The great state of Texas was recently the 11th state to sign up. Assuming they can get a total of 34 states to sign on the dotted line a Constitutional Convention would be called. This makes a lot of people nervous as this convention could completely rewrite the United States Constitution if it felt the inclination.

Much of the push for this program comes from conservative states. It would, for instance, be able for a constitutional convention to ashcan Roe V. Wade. It could greatly strengthen (or eliminate) the individual right to keep and bear arms. It could establish a government religion or get rid of the free press.

I admit to being unsure how I feel about this. I have no trouble with Roe v. Wade but I would not mind having the people's right to bear arms strengthened. I am bothered by the ability of unelected bureaucrats to functionally make law, such as the EPA. I am bothered by judicial overreach, which seems to want to make the law into what the individual judge THINKS it should be rather than what is written. I am bothered in general by federal overreach and the notion that the government in general and the federal government in particular are so smart (and we are so stupid) that the government should have the power, authority and right to run our lives.

All that being said, how I feel about it and what I think about it don't mean diddly. It will happen, or not happen, regardless. It would, however, see the collective liberal power structure in CA, NY and DC kicked in the balls.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think it will go that far.

bob walsh said...

I confess neither do it. But it would be fun to watch. Kind of like nude female midget mudwrestling.