Thursday, January 14, 2016

WISHFUL THINKING CLOUDS REASON

by Bob Walsh

It is a truism. I believe it. I try to deal with it intellectually. Mostly I am successful. Sometimes not.

I know there is virtually zero chance I will win the $1.5 billion Power Ball. I bought two tickets anyway. It comes out of my entertainment budget. I will take it if I win but I am not emotionally invested in the possibility.

Then we move to Hillary Clinton, emails and the Clinton Family Foundation. Based on everything I have heard and everything I believe (want to believe) there is no doubt in my mind whatsoever that Hillary is, at an absolute minimum, guilty of mishandling classified material on a scale that makes the Patreus case pale in comparison. I also believe that there is significant evidence that the FBI has uncovered that strongly indicates that she and Bill operated the Clinton Family Foundation, Bill’s numerous and highly-paid speaking engagements and official actions of the Secretary of State’s Office as a criminal enterprise. The trouble is I admit that part of the reason I believe it is I WANT to believe it.

What will shake out? Various talking heads have been asserting that, based on FBI leaks, that there is an excellent case against them and that, within the next 6-10 weeks the FBI will in fact make a recommendation to the AG that Hillary (and maybe Bill, and maybe a few of their higher-up friends) be prosecuted both for the security lapses and public corruption. The talking heads broadly hint of an open revolt within the ranks of the FBI if the AG lets it slide.

So, how much of this is my wishful thinking, how much is their wishful thinking, and how much is real? Damned if I know. I would love to see the Clintons in the dock. Will Barry let it happen? Will he be happier with Joe BiteMe carrying on his legacy or Hillary Clinton, who is alleged to strongly dislike on a personal basis?

One thing I do know, I am a fairly serious news junkie. I will watch, and wait, and rub my lucky rabbit’s foot and hope they nail both Bill and Hillary to the barn door. Will I place a bet on it happening, probably not? The good guys don’t always win, the bad guys don’t always go to prison and politics is by its nature a dirty and crooked game. But it is still fun to watch.

EDITOR’S NOTE: Bob brings up a good point. Everyday friends forward messages to me, mostly about Obama, that are outright lies. My friends are not a bunch of ignorant rednecks. On the contrary, they are highly educated professionals who should know better than to fall for what I call ‘malicious internet mischief.’ Those lies originated with Obama haters. The problem is that many highly educated professionals dislike Obama so much that they let wishful thinking cloud reason.

No comments: