Monday, November 11, 2019

A SALUTE TO VETERANS

by Trey Rusk

For Veterans Day, Roy Benavidez recited a poem that will make you wonder if somebody is peeling onions in your vicinity. Roy was a Medal of Honor recipient who was born in Lindenau, Texas, and raised mostly in El Campo. His life story is the stuff of heroic legend. The poem:

"Hello, remember me? Some people call me 'Old Glory,' others call me the Star Spangled Banner. But, whatever they call me, I'm your flag... the flag of the United States of America. Something has been bothering me, so, I thought I'd talk it over with you because it's about me and you. Not too long ago, people were lining up on both sides of the street to see a parade go by, and, naturally, I was leading that parade. Proudly waving in the breeze. And when your daddy saw me coming, he would immediately remove his hat and place it over his left shoulder... so his right hand would be over his heart. And you, you standing there... right next to your dad. You didn't have a hat, and your little sister, not to be outdone was standing right next to you. Both of you had your right hand over your heart.

What has happened now? I don't feel as proud as I used to... I'm still the same ole flag. I see children playing around, shouting. They don't seem to know or care who I am, what I stand for. I saw an elderly gentleman who took his hat off, but when he saw others with theirs on, he turned around and slowly walked away.

Hey, I'm still the same ole flag. A few stars have been added since those parades long ago. A lot of blood has been shed. Is it a sin to be patriotic anymore? Have you forgotten who I am? What I stand for? And where I've been? Anzio, Guadalcanal, Korea, Vietnam. Take a good look one of these days... at the memorial honor roll... of all the names that never came back. They gave their lives for this great nation to be free. Under God. When you salute me, you salute each and every one of them. Well, it won't be long now, and I'll be coming down the street leading the parade and proudly waving in the breeze. So, when you see me coming, stand up straight and salute. And I'll salute you... by waving back. And then I'll know, that you remember."

1 comment:

Trey Rusk said...

Thank you for posting this. Veterans Day and American Patriotism has significant meanings for my family.