Sunday, January 30, 2022

I ADMIT I THINK THIS IS SILLY

by Bob Walsh

The city of Long Beach, CA owns the Queen Mary.  The Queen Mary is still afloat, sort of.  It is permanently anchored and completely landlocked in a small, artificial lagoon just slightly larger than the ship itself.  It is functionally a hotel.  It is going to undergo a major rehab in the near future, including $5 million for repairs or replacement of the old wooden life boats.  

I strongly suspect there is some legal reason for this.  There is a very large bulk carrier at the Stockton port that is permanently tied up to the pier and is used essentially as a storage depot for bulk cement.  It has not moved in years. However, since it is a vessel and it is a navigable waterway the Coast Guard requires an anchor watch on board.  I suspect the Queen Mary situation is something like that.  It is floating so it needs to have life boats.  

My lady friend has been on board the Queen Mary.  She assures me it is indeed haunted.  She is more than a little fey so she probably knows.

1 comment:

Trey said...

We visited the Queen Mary 20 years ago. My wife wouldn't stay overnight. She said, it was creepy.

My grandparents traveled from England to New York on the Queen Mary in the late 40's just after WW-II. The company my grandfather worked for; Foster-Wheeler booked passage for its employees to travel back to the USA.