Friday, November 23, 2018

A BRAZEN THANKSGIVING DAY THIEF

by Bob Walsh

Yes, it's true. It was in-your-face, unrepentant thievery. I even saw the thief in the act. We were sitting around the table, scarfing up a last bit of pumpkin pie when I saw a red and blonde streak out of the corner of my eye. The culprit ran up to the dinner table, stood up on her hind legs, snatched the last dinner roll off the tray, dropped down on all fours, swallowed it in two gulps (golden retrievers eat like vacuum cleaners) and trotted across the room, smiling like the cat that ate the canary.

I laughed my ass off. Vicki didn't think it was funny at all. She doesn't like the girls to get people food, says it is bad for them. She may be right and the collie is allergic to wheat flower anyway. The golden can, and will, eat pretty much anything. And she will steal it if she can. Of course so will the collie. I have actually seen her pick people's pockets for food with that long, pointed nose of hers.

All things considered I often think I like most dogs better than I like many people. Just don't leave the last dinner roll out where they can get to it. Or a burrito either for that matter. And they have a LONG reach when they really want to.

I hope you all had a very nice Thanksgiving. I know I did.

EDITOR'S NOTE: I've always loved dogs. My little 'Heinz 57' dog Jing Jing has been my sole companion for the last 3-1/2 years. She lets me sleep in 'her' bed. The little sweetheart, God bless her, weighs only 15 pounds, but when we compete for the same spot in bed, it feels like she weighs 50 pounds.

I join Bob in hoping you all had a very nice Thanksgiving.

No comments: