Wednesday, May 29, 2019

A MEDIOCRE IDEA MADE EVEN WORSE ??

by Bob Walsh

I remember being singularly unimpressed when Chrysler and Fiat merged. I can understand that Chrysler wanted (needed?) a cash infusion and Fiat wanted to make a significant inroad into the American market. I also understand that there was minimal duplication in the lines so they wouldn't be fighting each other but still.........(Jeeps made by Fiat. That just isn't right.)

Anyway, now they want to add yet another player to the pile, Renault. Yes, I realize that Renault is a decent-size manufacturer and this would make the group the third largest car maker in the world, but their cars are mostly EuroCrap. Renault is already associated with Nissan and Mitsubishi, but it is more of an alliance than a merger if I understand the structure correctly.

The deal would save the players about $5.5 billion in shared research costs and purchasing if nothing else. Maybe I am just a dinosaur and don't understand global economics and production. It still bothers me, and Renault cars are still mostly EuroCrap. Not completely, but mostly.

No comments: