Friday, February 19, 2016

HOW LONG WILL THIS LAST?

By Bob Walsh

The Manteca (CA) Unified School District just settled a legal beef with a high-school junior. She was previously sent home for refusing to chance out of a t-shirt that said “Nobody Knows I’m A Lesbian” on it. (I saw her picture. It wasn’t a big secret, trust me on that.)

The school has agreed to solidify their dress code and recognize statements of affirmation of such things as race and gender orientation as being valid expressions of free speech and appropriate for the school.

I happen to agree. I am, however, curious about what will happen the first time a student shows up with a “I’m Proud To Be A Straight White Christian” on it. Will that be considered too offensive of divisive to tolerate? Just curious.

No comments: