Tuesday, March 06, 2018

MAYBE I'M JUST A TROGLODYTE

by Bob Walsh

Maybe I am just a troglodyte, but there are some things in the world I just don't give a shit about. I don't care if the person who directed a movie I like is a gay transsexual from Uzbekistan. I don't care if the person who did the makeup on a movie I admire is a homosexual from Mexico. I don't care if the assistant camera operator in the second unit escaped from Iran one step ahead of the secret police. I really don't.

I like movies. I am interested in the process by which movies are made. I do NOT like being preached at, especially by a bunch of sanctimonious hypocritical assholes who want me to know how wonderful they are NOW, even if they were actively culpable covering up disgusting activity by people like Horny Harvey.

I think it is a shame that many women in that arena get paid less than many men do. It is, however, not my fault and not my problem. It is up to that industry to deal with. So why the hell don't they do it, without crowing about how fucking wonderful they are for at least thinking about it. Just do it.

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is supposed to be about movies, about making movies. It isn't supposed to be about politics. I watched the Oscars (on tape delay, without commercials). I can understand why viewership is down 20% from last year. If you would get off your self-serving soap box you might attract more viewers.

And why the hell can't you shove a 3 hour award show into three hours? Are you that self centered that every one of you HAS TO tell the world how great you are or how sad you are or how holy you are or how oppressed you are or how much you hate the U. S. land especially Donald Trump? Can't you just make a fucking movie that I would like to see?

1 comment:

Trey Rusk said...

Well said.