Sunday, June 27, 2021

AN HONORABLE ATHLETE WOULD NOT COMPETE FOR THE COUNTRY SHE HATES

Who is Gwen Berry? Hammer thrower slammed for turning away from flag while anthem plays

 

By Divya Kishore 


meaww

June 27, 2021

 

 

Gwendolyn Berry, left, looks away as DeAnna Price and Brooke Andersen stand for the national anthem after the finals of the women's hammer throw at the Olympic trials on Saturday

Olympic hammer thrower Gwen Berry has reportedly turned away from the American flag while the national anthem was played during a medal ceremony at the US Olympic trials on Saturday, June 26. The 31-year-old athlete accused the organizers of the trials in Eugene, Oregon, of being “disrespectful” to play the national anthem while she was honored with a bronze medal.

As per reports, when the national anthem was played, Berry put her left hand on her hip and turned her face towards the stands while showing her back to the flag. In her defense, she said, “I feel like it was a set-up, and they did it on purpose. I was pissed, to be honest.” The athlete continued: “They had enough opportunities to play the national anthem before we got up there. I was thinking about what I should do. Eventually, I stayed there and I swayed, I put my shirt over my head. It was real disrespectful.”

“It really wasn't a message. I didn't really want to be up there. Like I said, it was a setup. I was hot, I was ready to take my pictures and get into some shade. They said they were going to play it before we walked out, then they played it when we were out there. But I don't really want to talk about the anthem because that's not important. The anthem doesn't speak for me. It never has,” Berry added.

While the music played, Berry placed her left hand on her hip and fidgeted. She took a quarter turn, so she was facing the stands, not the flag. Toward the end, she picked up her black t-shirt with the words 'Activist Athlete' emblazoned on the front, and draped it over her head.

 

Gwendolyn Berry raises her Activist Athlete T-Shirt over her head during the metal ceremony after the finals of the women's hammer throw at the U.S. Olympic Track and Field Trials
Toward the end of the anthem, Berry plucked up her black T-shirt with the words 'Activist Athlete' emblazoned on the front, and draped it over her head

2 comments:

bob walsh said...

Honor and politics don't run together and probably haven't for a fair bit of time.

Trey said...

We don't care if you kneel for the National Anthem in Texas. We care that the National Anthem shall be played at every sporting event because after September 1, 2021 it is State Law. Just remember the Flag will wave and the National Anthem will be played. Take that, Mark Cuban!